Mandeville, LA – You might think that headline references the barbaric, Muslim, terrorists of the world. While those savages probably hold the above opinion, the USA’s 70 years long, never-ending war machine, has created “conservatives” with a similar, tragic viewpoint. Passionate pro-lifers should know better than to tempt this moral relativism and Catholics should be leading the way, unfortunately that is not happening. After voicing my concern that the wanton celebration (and that’s what it has become) of the civilian carnage in Gaza could use some clarity of moral purpose and remorse for the civilian women and children killed, I received the following, growing list of letters.
As far as I’m concerned, go live with these terrorist you are so hell bent to defend and then get back to me -“Listener” Barry DeL—– (name redacted by Editor)
The common theme is that I don’t think Israel “has the right to defend herself” and have chosen Hamas to shake pom poms for (I have NOT and will NOT). This presupposes that I am 1. a promoter and defender of terrorists and 2. that I am of the opinion that in no cases can Israel or any other country defend itself from attack and yes jihad. This is where the hysteria takes over and reason flees. Terrorism is an unacceptable weapon used against civilian targets to extract political or social change; using the same tactic as a defense, in ALL CASES whatsoever, executed without regard to or in spite of the presence of civilian, non-combatants should be equally, morally, unacceptable.
My opinions on sovereign states which by the by include Louisiana, Texas and wherever you are reading this from is not only can they and should they defend themselves they also have the right of political self-determination… unless you are Palestine (this month), Crimea (two months ago) or Ukraine (her legit 2012 election was undone by our CIA 6 months ag). In pursuance of the foregoing and with a heavy heart from attending Mass Daily I then dared to calmly ask the following.
1. Consider the principles of Just War Theory and see if there may be some less lethal way to address the problem of Hamas. I cited St Augustine here, and EWTN among other works on Just War. You can read the responses to this question below for yourself. Here is a snippet from Augustine’s Theory of Just War.
However, she [the Church] cautions combatants that not everything is licit in war. Actions which are forbidden, and which constitute morally unlawful orders that may not be followed, include:
– attacks against, and mistreatment of, non-combatants, wounded soldiers, and prisoners;
– genocide, whether of a people, nation or ethnic minorities;
– indiscriminate destruction of whole cities or vast areas with their inhabitants.
Silly me, trying to remain calm and seek the moral guidance of someone other than Bill Kristol and Dick Cheney, “scourge him” they cried!
— David Bigelow (@dhb7) July 25, 2014
3. The final “Mike Church= hamas appeaser” moment came from today sharing Ron Paul’s take on the matter and then sharing the name of the Ha’aretz newspaper as ONE source for news on the conflict. NOTE: I redacted the email addresses and last names Name: Barry L—— – Comments: Dear Mike, I’ve listened to you from time to time on Sirius and though you’ve seemed bombastically foolish at times, I’ve tended to give you the benefit of the doubt. Not any more. I heard you reading Ron Pauls piece on the air today and basically agreeing with it. WRONG. It’s really quite simple. If you can’t get it right on Israel, then most likely you can’t get it right on anything else. Then you stated one of the best places to get news on Israel is from their newspaper Haaretz and at that point you lost all credibility. That’s like telling a Russian that if you really want to understand the United States, read the Village Voice. Ron Paul has been bashing Israel for many years, that’s his bias. He has never been correct and yet you were putting him forward as an authority. The Israeli conflict is a simple matter of good verses evil. Not perfect verses imperfect, but good verses bad. Really simple. Perhaps we’ll be hearing you boost ISIS in the future. Right, after spending 30 minutes during the same show, asking the question of where is Barry’s outrage at the loss of Christian shrines and relics from Mosul et al, thanks to ISIS? You can’t make this stuff up, folks but it does speak volumes about the success of our never-ending, undeclared wars and the propaganda they require. Then there’s this note which asks me to leave the country and go live somewhere where my children and I can feel the real presence of bombs exploding on the roof of our house ( a fate I never wished or even intimated to befall Israelis or anyone else for that matter). Name: Barry De—— – Comments: I dare say that I am not alone in being totally indignant at your Hamas apology tour this morning. I finally change the channel so I wouldn’t run into the back of someone. The fact that you pummeled Israel without Holding the obvious terrorists accountable for any of their actions may very well end my listenership. As someone so devout about history, it is no small irony that you ignore it when it comes to the visions you see of Hamas purposefully inflicting pain and suffering ion their attempt to garner support from suckers like you. What the hell more do you want from Israel? They drop flyers, they give 24 hour advance notice, they actually call the bastards and yet you blame Israel for the children’s death? And don’t give me that BS line you caller uttered about it is too narrow, they don’t have any place to go! Let’s take a bald face look at what has transpired here: Each one of those 3000 rockets that Hamas keeps launching cost $600,000 each! These bastards don’t build any manufacturing, they have to buy their power from Israel, they don’t even have their own water production but they have money to lob $600,000 dollar missiles at innocent civilians and dig tunnels so they can sneak in and kidnap or maim innocent civilians, and you blame Israel for putting their foot down too hard?!!!Let’s be clear and resort to the transcript and tapes of the shows in question. I never blamed Israel and I haven’t even take “a side” in the conflict. I also never said anything other than “Hamas is also guilty of atrocities for USING civilians with intent for lethal results.” Name: Barry De——(cont’d) Go f**k yourself Mike! You would be the first hypocrite in line if those missiles were landing in your back yard! As far as I’m concerned, go live with these terrorist you are so hell bent to defend and then get back to me. Better yet, go spend a couple years in Israel and then get back to us on how put upon the Palestinians are! Lest you forget, the dumb f***s elected Hamas themselves! And maybe they need to stop and think a little harder before they go and start a war that they can’t win! Nice, christian brotherly love wouldn’t you say? I wonder if Barry would buy me a few highballs to get me in the mood for his preferred act? Then there is this message which has the distinction of being the earliest one in the string (so far). Name: Paul Pi——- Comments: Happened to listen to part of your show this morning. I was sickened by your comments on Israel. It’s people like you who fail to petition for the abolition of Hamas and other Islamic terrorists group that propagate their power to continue to terrorize the free people of the world. In particular, the people of the Jewish State of Israel. Yes, I petition on behalf of terrorists. By the way, what makes anyone think al Queda or Hamas will disband when they receive the DeceptiCONS petition? You criticize Israel for what you call “intolerable” civilian casualties and yet do not even once think to castigate and denounce Hamas for causing, creating and propagating the need for Israel to rebut Hamas terrorist attacks in order to prevent her own people from being brutally murdered or maimed. After two failed ceasefires (2009 and 2012), after each of which Hamas has come back stronger, the western world would do well by exerting extreme pressure on Hamas so that THEY cannot inflict further harm on their people. It’s clear, that as long as it’s not your family or loved ones being threatened, Israel must accept the intolerably high level of risk of her citizens being terrorized by kidnappings, murdered and rocketed. What a disgrace you are.Sickened for questioning the continued killing/shelling/bombing of civilians including children!? Sickened for resorting to St Augustine, Just War Theory & 2k years of prior wars to draw experience from? Unable to contain his continuing anger, Paul Pi——- wrote a response, my response is posted below. Name: Paul Pi——- (cont’d) Comments: I do not defame. I criticize your comments. Perhaps you should listen to your own broadcast. I too pray for the end of violence, but know that praying alone won’t stop the violence. Hamas’ sole goal is to destroy Israel and murder innocent Jews. If you want to save innocents, it’s not through preventing Israel to defend her innocent civilians, it’s through outright and forcibly denouncing Hamas. Hamas is soley to blame for the wasted lives of Palestinians past, present and future, not Israel Your words are disgraceful and despicable and most importantly harmful to every innocent life involved. My response: Dear Paul, My words are nothing of the sort. The onus of proving a Just War is not on those who abide the teaching and catechism of Holy Mother Church & Our Lord, they are on those who wish to wage the war. Obviously Hamas will never meet the criteria and a Jewish State is not beholden either but that doesn’t pardon a Christian’s particpation in any way shape or form. The Just or Defensive War criteria are well know and have been in force since 340 A.D. I will not explain them here as you are perfectly able to find them for yourself. Call me what you wish, Sir, I do not answer to you but wish you nothing but happiness. Pax Tecum, Mike Church
“War, War, War and more War” is what is sickening. Yet the more of it that is waged against the jihad the more war must be waged, how’d that happen? This same crowd told us that invading Iraq and eradicating Saddam, invading then occupying Afghanistan, killing Ghaddaffi, droning hundreds of civilians to death in all those countries plus Yemen and Pakistan, would send the jihad into exile by “taking the fight to them.” Now the next war-bridge to cross is carpet bombing a civilian population because they made electoral choices you disagree with? As Chris Ferrara pointed out on today’s Mike Church Show (transcript is being processed), this is a concept unique to modern man: that of reducing to rubble and nonexistence, entire populations and infrastructures in war and all the civilian death and suffering that goes with it. Where is our Christian citizenry’s vaunted boast that “we aren’t like them”? Before the ridiculous comments can be made let me answer the question of what to do if a Muslim population has the chance to carpet bomb a Christian population… oh wait that already happened in principle with the destruction of Mosul and the reducing to rubble her ancient shrine and relics. A condemnable, barbaric, murderous act that should be prosecuted to the ends of earth until the perpetrators are dealt with, lethally, but that would not include whatever village they hailed from or hid in (see Ferrara below). I am leaving the space below open for the next round of war-lusting that comes my way. Meanwhile, the photo below shows the human atrocities that result from moral relevance. Those bodies were once called “babies,” today they are called a “choice.” Pray that the dead, civilian “children” in Gaza don’t become universal for “combatant.” And the hits just keep on playing, this gem is from Ryan Bryant who wishes for Mexicans to reign bombs on the school my daughters at ten so I can taste Israel’s oh wait Hamas’s… oh wait Israel’s bombs first-hand. Ryan will NOT be on the Christmas card list this year. I would also be delighted to hear what my previous “low” was and when I “sank” to it.
Chris Ferrara responds to Brian DeL—– (redacted) by making relevant analogies that will I am sure be savaged upon as another “appeaser of Hamas”. If I could conduct a poll on Chris’s question of treating ALL Palestinians like a “bunch of dogs [to be] punished en masse”(of course this wouldn’t be a genocide it would a “cleansing” nnnnoooo wait it would be a cleanse—- hold on, only muslim savages, Margaret Sangerites and communists advocate those two things— well, enough uncomfortable questions for now, on with the show.
Dear Mr. DeL—–:
Of course the Muslim fanatics who suicide bomb innocent victims should be punished, indeed executed, for their crimes. What is wrong here is the collective punishment of a whole people because of the crimes of a few. When a school shooter in America mows down a bunch of his classmates and then kills himself, we deplore the crime and mourn the victims. We don’t punish his parents or his community.
Let me ask you: Do these terrorists have any reason (not a justification, but a reason) for their suicidal acts besides a purely irrational hatred of the Jews? Have the Palestinians as a whole no legitimate grievance at all regarding their treatment at the hands of the Israelis? Or are they all just a bunch of dogs who should be punished en masse because some of them are crazy—like a crazy school shooter?
How much of the Israeli press have you read? Have you seen the articles in which native Israelis call their own government Fascist because of its treatment of the Palestinians? Are you not aware that Israelis are among the harshest critics of the State of Israel?