Cavatelli & Broccoli
Submitted by Sandi Juliano
This is a pretty standard Italian dish, with the option to go dairy free.
- 1 package frozen Cavatelli pasta (check for serving size)
- Fresh broccoli, rinsed, trimmed to florets
- 2 med clove garlic, chopped fine
- 1 cup Favorite vegetable stock or vegetable bouillon
- Olive oil
Optional: red pepper flakes, pecorino romano
- In large pot, boil water & lightly salt. Add frozen pasta and stir until it floats to the top. Reserve 1 cup pasta water, then drain remaining. If using bouillon to make stock, reserve 1.5 cups of pasta water total.
- In a skillet that can accommodate the pasta volume later, add olive oil over med-low heat. Sauté garlic taking care not to burn, then add the reserved pasta water and vegetable stock. Allow to simmer and cook down slightly. Taste and season further as necessary, then add the drained pasta and stir. Finally, add the broccoli florets and cover to steam, then serve.
- Top with grated cheese and/or red pepper flakes.
- This recipe can also use chicken stock and include sautéed chicken pieces in step 2.
Additional Tips: Using the pasta water and cooking it down will change the texture of the broth.