Baked Sweet Potato & Egg
Submitted by Sandi Juliano
This is a simple but delicious recipe that can be used for breakfast or dinner. Depending on the size of the potato, a large (once baked and split in half) can serve two people. Select the potatoes which will easily hold a whole raw egg, like a boat or cup, when sliced in half. The number of eggs needed depending on the size of potatoes and number of people to serve. Add your favorite seasonings to personalize the flavor.
- Red skinned sweet potato (as opposed to a yam)
- Wash and dry your sweet potatoes. Bake in an oven until fork tender at 375.
- Remove the potatoes and cool until easy to handle, keep the oven on.
- Slice the potato in half, either length wise or the slimmer top of a foil lined baking sheet. Take enough of the inside out to make a boat to fit one egg. Reserve the inside.
- In a bowl, crack open the egg and add salt, pepper, and any other seasonings preferred. Thyme is delicious
- Pour the egg into the potato and place in the oven to bake until egg is set.
- The leftover insides can be sautéed with onions and peppers in olive oil to serve on the side.