Oven Toasted Ceci
Submitted by Sandi J
Ceci, also known as garbanzo or chickpeas, are a versatile and delicious bean. The key ingredient for falafel, they can also be used to jazz up your salads in place of traditional croutons, or just serve as a tasty snack.
- 1 can chickpeas, rinsed & drained
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- Sirachia or your favorite hot sauce
- Za’atar herb mix
- Dried oregano & lemon
- Preheat oven to 425 and line a baking sheet with foil. A roasting pan may also be used. Place paper towel on the foil/pan.
- After rinsing and draining well, pour chickpeas onto the paper towel and dry thoroughly. Discard the paper towel once beans and surface are dry.
- Discard all paper towel and add oil to the beans, coating well. Add more oil if desired. Season lightly with salt, and give a final stir.
- Spread the beans evenly on the baking surface and place in the oven for 15 minutes, giving a quick stir and cooking for another 5-10 minutes.
- Cook time will depend on desired texture, with the bean changing from soft to a slightly crispy exterior while the inside is soft, and ultimately to very crunchy. Test a bean after 20 minutes to decide if you want to cook longer.
- Remove from the oven and pour into a serving bowl. Za’atar should be added while beans are still hot to bloom the herbs. Juice a lemon and toss with oregano, or eat as is.