Restorative Vegetable Broth
Submitted by Matt Jones
Here is a simple broth to make on Ash Wednesday or on Good Friday when we are fasting and are so mindful of our food consumption. It is also great for when you are sick. (This will be paired with the Olive Oil Fasting Bread on Wednesdays and Fridays for lent.)
- 2 large portabella mushrooms coarsely chopped
- 2 carrots coarsely chopped
- 2 ribs of celery coarsely chopped
- 3 ounces of prunes
- 4 garlic cloves smashed
- 4 quarts water
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 tablespoon peppercorns
- 2 bay leaves
- In a 6 quart stock pot add the mushrooms, carrots, celery, prunes, and garlic.
- Add water and bring to a boil. Add salt, pepper and bay leaves. Reduce heat to low and barely simmer uncovered for 30 minutes. Skim any foam from the surface as it boils. Strain broth and discard solids.
Additional Tips: The broth will keep in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or in the freezer for 6 months.