Seven Sorrows Rosary
- 6mm Earth tone stones that have been drilled and smoothed (medium weight) *Because these are stones, each one will vary in size.*
- 8mm full color 7 Sorrows of Mary (double sided) Silver plated
- Rosaries and chaplets are Hand-made in the USA and one of a kind they are NOT eligible for any discount.
The word rosary comes from Latin and means a garland of roses, the rose being one of the flowers used to symbolize the Virgin Mary. If you were to ask what object is most emblematic of Catholics, people would probably say, “The rosary, of course.” We’re familiar with the images: the silently moving lips of the old woman fingering her beads; the oversized rosary hanging from the waist of the wimpled nun; more recently, the merely decorative rosary hanging from the rearview mirror.
This devotion to Our Sorrowful Mother originated in the thirteenth century. It recalls the Sorrows the Virgin Mother of God endured in compassion for the suffering and death of her Divine Son. The Litany of the Seven Sorrows of Our Lady found at the end of this booklet was composed by Pope Pius VII (1740-1823) while held in captivity during the Napoleonic Wars. These devotions are particularly appropriate for the spiritual children of Fr. Bob Bedard, CC, Founder of the Companions of the Cross. We cultivate a profound devotion to the Cross of our Lord Jesus Christ and to Our Lady, who at Calvary became the first companion of the Cross.
St. Bridget of Sweden (1303-1373) reported that Our Lady promised to grant seven graces to those who honor her and draw near to her and her Son every day by meditating on her dolors (sorrows):
1. I will grant peace to their families.
2. They will be enlightened about the divine Mysteries.
3. I will console them in their pains and will accompany them in their work.
4. I will give them as much as they ask for as long as it does not oppose the adorable will of my divine Son or the sanctification of their souls.
5. I will defend them in their spiritual battles with the infernal enemy and I will protect them at every instant of their lives.
6. I will visibly help them at the moment of their death they will see the face of their mother.
7. I have obtained this grace from my divine Son: that those who propagate this devotion to my tears and sorrows will be taken directly from this earthly life to eternal happiness, since all their sins will be forgiven and my Son will be their eternal consolation and joy.
How to pray the Rosary of the Seven Sorrows:
1. Pray the Introductory Prayers (on the medal or Cross).
2. Announce the First Sorrow; then pray the Our Father.
3. Pray seven Hail Mary’s while meditating on the Sorrow
4. At the conclusion of each Sorrow, pray “Holy Mother hear my prayers, and renew in my heart each wound of Jesus my Savior.”
5. Repeat steps 2 – 4 for all seven Sorrows.
6. Pray three Hail Mary’s in honor of the tears of Our Sorrowful Mother (on the three final beads).
7. Pray the Closing Prayers.
8. You may also wish to pray the Litany of the Seven